Wednesday, April 18, 2007

garden - april


We have spent this week working hard in the garden and the henshed (which to my alarm I now notice still smells stongly of hen despite it being 5 years since the last resident departed...). Monday and Tuesday were cool and so ideal for digging and heavy work. We made a path up the middle of the veg patch and despite it being a bit bockety I have to keep going and looking at it! I planted broad beans, leeks and salad, transplanted selfsown marigold and cosmos seedlings and have sown far too many seeds in pots. This is my favourite gardening time of year - so much promise. It's just too good to be indoors. Here's a glimpse of what our outdoors looks like. (ps the second photo of the wisteria was taken last May - just to give you an idea of what's to come. It's on the verge of flowering now. All the others were taken yesterday)

4 comments:

shula said...

Wot does 'bockety' mean?

Meabh Warburton said...

A bit ramshackle - not very straight!
Meabh

K Spoering said...

Lovely! I have some of the same things in my garden, but it's just getting going. My flowering crab is in full bloom. I put photos of it on my blog a few days ago. Lilacs still blooming here in Colorado, too. And time to put out salad greens. We must have similar seasons!

Meabh Warburton said...

We must do! Our Springs are very variable too. We had almost a week of grey drizzley days but yesterday and today have been full sun and 25°. Our most reliable season is Autumn which is just beautiful. Such a relief after the intense heat of Summer. We are lucky to have an old house with 2+ foot thick walls so we can always be cool inside. This Summer I'm going to make a concerted effort to get up and go to bed much earlier to make the best of the cool of the morning. We'll see... I seem to remember saying something similar last year!